Backup freezes and makes it impossible to shutdown computer

Marie-Louise Gariepy

18 Dec, 2011 01:37 AM

1 - the backup freeze for some reason : it obvioulsy stop copying, like no progress after 5 hours...
2 - I cannot stop the process - Carbon Copy Cloner does not even appears in the force quit list
3 - I cannot shutdown the computer - it just will not shutdown
4 - I need to force shutdown - holding the power button
5 - when I try to reboot, my computer is frozen - like it stays forever on the apple image (even if I disconnected the external hard drives)
6 - eventualy, it will reboot (I don't know how exactly, but after a few tries, it works)
7 -I don't have this issue with other programs. Just when I use Carbon Copy Cloner

I've noticed this started to happen since the last update (when major changes where introduced).

I am using version Mac OS X 10.5.8. I am usually copying from a firewire connected G-Drive to a USB connected drive.

Anybody can help me on this issue? Or any suggestion of more robust backup software?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Mike Bombich on 19 Dec, 2011 05:38 PM

Hi Marie-Louise:

Check out this section of the documentation for some tips on dealing with a CCC-related hang:

"The backup task is hanging, what can I do?"

Note that shutting off your Mac should never be required, at most you would have to turn off one of your external devices.

I should also note that I see this same kind of behavior with my own G-Drive enclosure, and it is not limited to CCC. There are times that my computer won't turn on at all if the G-Drive is attached, and times when it hangs altogether (even if CCC is not running). Detaching the enclosure from my Mac breaks the hangs, and things continue to work fine once I reattach it (for a while anyway).

Mike

2. 3 Posted by Marie-Louise Gariépy on 20 Dec, 2011 03:15 AM

My general problem with CCC is that about everytime (really, like 80% of the time) the backup does not complete. This is not really handy. Either there is a real problem with my system (I am not denying that possibility) or your software is not performing well...

I am always backing up from an external drive to another. My master drive is always a G-Drive. The other one is a cheaper brand. Note that if this would happen only with one clone drive, I would suspect this drive but I do use 6 different clone drives (I have 3 master drives and 2 clone drives per master drive, hence 6).

Note that I do not use my computer when it is backing up. I tend to forget to turn off the airport (so dropbox might be copying files once in a while, but never on the external master and clone drives). I would doubt dropbox to be the problem since I do recall the backup process freezing when I am sleeping (therefore not using dropbox on another computer).

Next time, I will try to disconnect the drive (since stoping the process does not work). I think I have tried that before - beside it does not seem a good practice to disconnect a drive while it is still running, no?

Thanks,

Marie-Louise Gariépy

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by Mike Bombich on 20 Dec, 2011 02:32 PM

Hi Marie-Louise:

In nearly all cases where a backup task hangs, the underlying cause is a hardware malfunction or an inability to read the media (e.g. bad sectors). When a hang occurs that affects the entire system responsiveness, I have yet to find a case where the problem was anything other than a hardware problem. Individual applications can't hang the whole system, Mac OS X doesn't work that way. A single application can do something that elicits that behavior, but only hardware (or maybe the kernel) can cause the entire system to become unresponsive. More times than not, it's a deadlock in the system bus (e.g. Firewire or USB), and breaking that deadlock will get things moving again.

it does not seem a good practice to disconnect a drive while it is still running, no?

I wouldn't recommend it if you were actively writing data to the disk. If the whole system is hung, though, and the alternative is to turn off your computer, the effect on the disk is the same. Filesystem journaling prevents most problems that would come as a result of disconnecting the disk in this manner, but if you aren't actively writing to the disk, I wouldn't expect any trouble at all.

My master drive is always a G-Drive. The other one is a cheaper brand. Note that if this would happen only with one clone drive, I would suspect this drive but I do use 6 different clone drives (I have 3 master drives and 2 clone drives per master drive, hence 6).

I still suspect the G-Drive, only because I have personally seen the exact same issue with this device, and I have seen several reports of the same behavior (a few related discussions are listed below). If you could isolate the enclosure type out of the scenario, we might be able to make a more definitive conclusion. Are all of the enclosures attached to your Mac at the same time?

I would also like to take a look at your CCC.log to see if there are any other problem indicators. Can you submit that to me for review? The easiest way to do this is from within CCC:

1. Choose "Report a problem" from the Help menu
    2. Click on the "Submit Logs" tab and review the information presented
    3. Click on the "Submit Logs" button
    4. Update this discussion to let us know that you've submitted your logs, and please note the submission ID at the bottom of the Submit Logs tab.

Thanks,
    Mike

http://help.bombich.com/discussions/problems/757-attempt-to-boot-fr...
    http://help.bombich.com/discussions/problems/822-need-help-creating...
    http://help.bombich.com/discussions/problems/828-not-booting-from-c...
    http://help.bombich.com/discussions/questions/4550-backup-is-procee...

4. 5 Posted by Marie-Louise Gariepy on 29 Dec, 2011 05:57 PM

I have submitted the logs.

Thanks!

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 2011-12-20 à 9:32 AM, "Mike Bombich"<[email blocked]> a écrit :

>
    > **** PLEASE REPLY ABOVE THIS LINE ****
    > **** Any part of your response that is below this line will be discarded ****

5. Support Staff 6 Posted by Mike Bombich on 29 Dec, 2011 08:20 PM

Hi Marie-Louise:

I see that you were able to break the cycle in your two most recent backups:

12/29 00:34:11 [INFO] Volume unmounted: "PROJETS 3 clone A"
    12/29 00:34:11 Aborting clone, destination disk has disappeared

12/29 04:42:42 [INFO] Volume unmounted: "PROJETS 3"
    12/29 04:42:43 Aborting clone, source disk has disappeared

So that confirms my suspicion that there was a hardware deadlock (if CCC was hanging on anything else, e.g. an internal bug, it would have continued to hang despite the source/destination disappearing).

Back in September there were some media errors on PROJETS 2 and some filesystem issues on PROJETS 2 - CLONE B. It looks like a mount/unmount resolved the problems on the backup volume.

Other than that, I don't see any indication of problems with the other devices (your logs go back to August). It seems that the problems are limited to (probably) the "PROJETS 3" device. The hang seems to be fairly reproducible. Can you run any of your other backups tasks manually to see if they elicit the same hang on the other hard drives?

You might also try swapping cables with one of the other devices to see if that affects the task's ability to complete without a hang. Cables seem fairly inert, but I actually have a USB cable that causes some really strange problems. A backup task works fine, but Disk Utility can't reformat a disk in an enclosure connected to my Mac with this particular cable.

Mike

6. Mike Bombich closed this discussion on 25 Jan, 2012 08:59 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac