incremental backups

Gail Goldstein

03 Mar, 2013 03:07 AM

I am not able to make incremental backups, that is, back up only changed items. I am always told there is not enough disk space and I know the changes are not that large. How do I do this?

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Rob Compton on 04 Mar, 2013 09:06 PM

An incremental backup is how CCC works by default. CCC always compares items on the source and destination and copies only the items that are different.

If you're using the default settings in CCC, and these are conservative, "safe" settings. Rather than deleting items from the destination that have been deleted from the source since a previous backup task, CCC moves these items to the _CCC Archives folder at the root level of your destination volume. This averts accidental data loss on the destination should you accidentally delete something from the source (or should you happen to keep something solely on the destination). The default settings also do not "prune" these archives, so eventually they will fill up your destination disk.

This section of the documentation addresses this matter and offers some advice on managing the contents of the _CCC Archives folder:

"Destination drive is full"

Best wishes,
    Rob

Rob Compton
    Bombich Software, Inc.
    http://www.bombich.com

For Carbon Copy Cloner support, please post questions to the Bombich Software Help Desk

2. Rob Compton closed this discussion on 11 Mar, 2013 01:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac