Install helper tool won't install

's Avatar

dhollist

25 May, 2012 04:43 PM

I am trying to use CCC on a MacBook Pro running Lion. Each time I try to install the helper tool it says that the installation failed and that I should try again after restarting. Restarting doesn't help.

If I proceed without the install helper tool, I get an error about drive ownership, even though I've erased the drive ON THIS MACHINE and added permissions for Read & Write under "system" in the Command-I information pane.

This machine is identical to another MBP I'm using, and it's the same version of Lion, the same external drive, etc.

Please advise how to use CCC on this machine.

CCC Report ID: 9895

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Mike Bombich on 25 May, 2012 04:54 PM

What happens if you try to install it using the attached package?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 3 Posted by Dave Hollister on 25 May, 2012 05:29 PM

I'll give it a try. Right now I have replaced the original MBP drive with the new one that was in an external enclosure and am doing a clean install of OS X on it so I can run CCC from there and hopefully be able to pull the data from the original drive mounted in the external enclosure.

The weird thing is that CCC running on my other MBP was able to clone to the new drive (in the same external enclosure) without a problem.

I'll let you know how the package you sent works out.

Best regards,
    Dave

On May 25, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Mike Bombich<[email blocked]> wrote:

> **** PLEASE REPLY ABOVE THIS LINE ****
    > **** Any part of your response that is below this line will be discarded ****

3. 4 Posted by Dave Hollister on 25 May, 2012 06:52 PM

Mike,
    This is what happens when I try to install the "Install helper" using the link you provided.

Best regards,
    Dave

On May 25, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Mike Bombich<[email blocked]> wrote:

4. Support Staff 5 Posted by Mike Bombich on 25 May, 2012 07:05 PM

There's something wrong with the OS on this machine, some permissions problem. Let's see if this will clear it up:

1. In the Finder, choose "Go to folder" from the Go menu
    2. Type "/var/folders" and click the Go button
    3. Drag any folders that you see inside of that "folders" folder to the Trash. You will be asked to authenticate, so go ahead and authenticate
    4. Try installing that package again.

I would also reboot your Mac shortly thereafter. Most apps will recreate the temporary folders without a problem, but some may not. The contents of /var/folders is scratch space, so there isn't anything there that would be useful after you've restarted (which is why I'm suggesting that it is OK to delete those items).

Mike

5. 6 Posted by Dave Hollister on 25 May, 2012 08:34 PM

Thank you Mike. That worked!

Best regards,
    Dave

On May 25, 2012, at 3:05 PM, Mike Bombich<[email blocked]> wrote:

6. 7 Posted by Dave Hollister on 25 May, 2012 08:55 PM

Thank you Mike. I'm up and running, and my client will be making a $25 donation for your prompt and effective support.
    Dave

7. Mike Bombich closed this discussion on 27 Jul, 2012 03:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac