Can CCC backup a case sensitive volume and restore to a case insensitive volume?

David Fisher

12 May, 2010 06:35 PM

I accidentally (or foolishly) formatted my hard drive as case sensitive. It seems many applications don't like this and I'd like for it to be case-insensitive.

With CCC can I backup my drive and its applications (being case sensitive), format the drive as case insensitive and restore the data to that new volume?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike Bombich on 13 May, 2010 02:55 AM

Yes, that should work fine. I just did a quick "backup bouncer" test with this scenario (10.6.2) and it worked great. The only potential issue is if you had some items with the same name, differing only in case, in the same directory. Only one of them would be copied over to the case-insensitive filesystem. For example:

/Users/david/Desktop/Files
    /Users/david/Desktop/files

You could have both those folders on a case sensitive filesystem, but the last item to be copied to a case insensitive filesystem would overwrite the previous item with the same name, different case. I really doubt that you've created such a scenario yourself, and the OS certainly doesn't do it for the standard installation, so I would be too concerned about this. Clone away, it should work great.

Mike

2. Mike Bombich closed this discussion on 21 Jun, 2010 09:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac