Carbon Copy Cloner's Transition to a Commercial Product: Frequently Asked Questions
Is CCC 3.5 "donationware"?
No, CCC is no longer donationware. In order to grow our support and development team, we have made the transition to a commercial product. This will allow us to to continue offering frequent updates to our software, including new features. This will also enable our stellar customer support to remain that way. Transitioning from donationware to a commercial offering underscores our commitment to deliver the best OS X cloning and backup utility on the market.
Do you still accept donations?
No. We have phased out the donation model and all software license purchases need to be completed through our online store.
Can I continue using the older version that is "donationware"?
Yes, absolutely. If you are currently using CCC and have not donated in the past, you are welcome to continue using any version up to and including 3.4.7 as long as you like without purchasing a license. Note, however, that previous versions of CCC are not qualified against Mountain Lion and we are no longer developing older versions of CCC. In addition, we offer limited support on a case-by-case basis. Choose "Update CCC..." from the Carbon Copy Cloner menu to see options for disabling the CCC software update checks.You can download previous versions of CCC on our Downloads page.
No. To express our appreciation to all of the people who have sent a verifiable donation to Bombich Software prior to July 24, 2012, we will grant a registration code for CCC 3.5. If you are a previous donor and see a message about a 30-day trial, you can retrieve your registration code here.
Updates (e.g. bug fixes, 3.5.1, 3.5.2, etc.) are always free to registered users. Upgrades (e.g. version 4.0, 5.0, etc.) that include new features and functionality, support for newer operating systems, etc. will be handled like most commercial software: current users will be offered a lower upgrade price but the previous version will continue to work if you decline to purchase the update.
Yes, the CCC License allows you to install and use Carbon Copy Cloner on any computer that you own or control for personal, noncommercial use. If you're using CCC commercially or institutionally, check out our Corporate and Education Licensing options.
- I want to clone my entire hard drive to a new hard drive or a new machine
- I want to backup my important data to another Macintosh on my network
- I want to backup multiple machines or hard drives to the same hard drive
- I want my backup task to run automatically on a scheduled basis
- Backing up to/from network volumes and other non-HFS volumes
- View all (2 more)
- How long should the clone or backup take?
- Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?
- "The disk usage on the destination doesn't match the source -- did CCC miss some files?"
- Will CCC clone Apple's "Recovery HD" partition?
- Some applications behave differently or ask for the serial number on the cloned volume. Did CCC miss something?"
- View all (11 more)