CCC License, Registration, and Trial FAQs
Thanks for trying Carbon Copy Cloner! You can try the complete feature set of CCC for 30 days before purchasing it. Use that time to explore CCC's automated, incremental backup functionality, make a bootable backup, move your digital life to a new hard drive and get peace of mind.
When you are satisfied with CCC's feature set and performance, you can purchase a license for CCC at our online store. When you purchase CCC, we will send your registration information via email with a link that will instantly apply the registration information to CCC.
Frequently Asked Questions about CCC Licensing and Registration
- Where can I find out about CCC's transition to a commercial product?
- How can I get help finding my registration code and getting CCC registered?
- When I click on the button to apply my registration settings, my browser says that it can't open this weird-looking URL.
- Can I use one license of CCC on multiple Macs in my household?
- If I pay for CCC now, will I have to pay for future updates?
- Why isn't CCC on the Mac App Store?
- Why do I have to provide my address when purchasing CCC?
Carbon Copy Cloner's Transition to a Commercial Product: Frequently Asked Questions has information about how CCC is no longer "donationware", how previous donors can receive a free license to CCC 3.5, and older versions of CCC.
Trouble Applying Your Registration Information? contains information about retrieving registration information and applying the registration settings contained in your registration email.
When I click on the button to apply my registration settings, my browser says that it can't open this weird-looking URL.
If you click on the "Click Here to Register CCC" button in the email that you received from us and you get a message similar to "Safari can't open com.bombich.ccc.lic://blah-blah-blah because OS X doesn't recognize Internet addresses starting with com.bombich.ccc.lic", that means that CCC hasn't yet been registered as the application that handles those URLs. Typically CCC is registered as that URL handler when you launch CCC, so be sure that you have downloaded CCC and opened it on the Mac where you're trying to apply the registration settings. If you have already opened CCC (3.5 or later) and you're still getting this message, try entering the registration values manually, or contact us for assistance.
Yes, the CCC License allows you to install and use Carbon Copy Cloner on any computer that you own or control for personal, noncommercial use. If you're using CCC commercially or institutionally, check out our Corporate and Education Licensing options.
To apply the registration settings to another Mac, drag the "Click Here to Register CCC" button or link from your purchase confirmation email to your Desktop. When you drag the link to your Desktop, a bookmark file will appear on the Desktop. Transfer this file to your other Macs and double-click it to apply the CCC registration settings there.
Updates (e.g. bug fixes, 3.5.1, 3.5.2, etc.) are always free to registered users. Upgrades (e.g. version 4.0, 5.0, etc.) that include new features and functionality, support for features specific to newer operating systems, etc. will be handled like most commercial software: current users will be offered a lower upgrade price but the previous version will continue to work if you decline to purchase the upgrade.
We would love to add the Mac App Store as a distribution channel for CCC, but there are certain classes of applications that do not meet the policy requirements imposed by Apple. Unless Apple changes these policies, you will never see a utility that can make a bootable backup of OS X on the Mac App Store. You can send Apple some feedback about this policy, but judging from the absence of the Mac App Store from Apple's Feedback page, and Apple's pertinacious position on this matter, we don't anticipate a change in this policy.
FastSpring, our payment processing service, requires this information for fraud prevention (for both Credit Card and PayPal-funded orders). They use this information, and a number of other metrics, to help prevent fraudulent orders. Bombich Software will never share this information with other companies or individuals. This information is only used to process your order.
- I want to clone my entire hard drive to a new hard drive or a new machine
- I want to backup my important data to another Macintosh on my network
- I want to backup multiple machines or hard drives to the same hard drive
- I want my backup task to run automatically on a scheduled basis
- Backing up to/from network volumes and other non-HFS volumes
- View all (2 more)
- How long should the clone or backup take?
- Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?
- "The disk usage on the destination doesn't match the source -- did CCC miss some files?"
- Will CCC clone Apple's "Recovery HD" partition?
- Some applications behave differently or ask for the serial number on the cloned volume. Did CCC miss something?"
- View all (11 more)