Can I run a backup while I'm using my computer? If I have open files, will they be backed up?
Yes and no, it really depends. Performance will be affected during the clone (especially the first one) as CCC reads the entire source volume and writes to the destination volume. If your work is "disk bound" -- that is your applications are reading or writing to either the source or destination, then you'll notice a performance hit. If you're just reading email or writing a Pages document, then you probably won't notice the performance hit.
Affecting the accuracy of the backup task is something else that should be considered. Typically it's OK to work from the source volume while you're copying it, with the understanding that if CCC copied a file, then you open it, make changes, save it, then CCC completes the backup task, the modified version of your document is not backed up (this time around). Typically that's no big deal, the modifications will get backed up the next time the backup task runs. More importantly, though, if you're working with large files (mounted disk image, Entourage email database, VMWare/Parallels container) during the backup operation, it is possible that those large files could be modified while CCC is backing up that file. This won't affect the source file, but there's a good chance that the backup version of that file will be corrupt. For this reason it is a good idea to stop using applications that may be modifying large files.
- I want to clone my entire hard drive to a new hard drive or a new machine
- I want to backup my important data to another Macintosh on my network
- I want to backup multiple machines or hard drives to the same hard drive
- I want my backup task to run automatically on a scheduled basis
- Backing up to/from network volumes and other non-HFS volumes
- View all (2 more)
- How long should the clone or backup take?
- Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?
- "The disk usage on the destination doesn't match the source -- did CCC miss some files?"
- Will CCC clone Apple's "Recovery HD" partition?
- Some applications behave differently or ask for the serial number on the cloned volume. Did CCC miss something?"
- View all (11 more)